Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tools of the Trade

Have you ever come across a pattern, whether it was knitting OR crocheting and found it difficult to follow? Well, I've got a few ideas!!

If the instructions are crochet, then instead of reading them across the page....
write
the instructions
one term
under
the other
so that when you have to repeat those instructions, it's a lot easier to see!!! I do that at times when the designer doesn't have it in his or her head to make it easier on us! I crocheted this one really neat shawl. It had to be made in sections and then sewn together. The instructions were ONE page, (and there was a lot more room left on that page). The designer could have repeated the instructions for us instead of saying: 'go to section 1 at the * and then go back to section 2 at the *. Yeah right! This was a class--I couldn't let my students go from * to * from one area to another---they'd walk out of the class---and I wouldn't blame them!

A tool I LOVE to use is Post-It Notes. Thank you Art Fry (the inventor.) I go through those things like tissue paper. When I'm reading a pattern, I keep the Post-It Note under the line I'm on. It not only keeps my place, but I use it to make notes and write down my repeat rows and hash mark them. This has kept my sanity!!! Another way to keep your place is a Magnetic Board. These were widely used in the counted cross stitch world. The board, which happens to be metal, is placed under your instructions page and there are line magnets to keep your place and to keep the page from turning. Either way is GREAT, but I really LOVE my Post-It Notes!!

Just like a carpenter or a plumber has his/her tools, so should every crocheter and knitter.
They're our tools of the trade, so to speak!!!

HAPPY STITCHING, fellow stitchers!!!



No comments: