Monday, August 11, 2008

Yours vs. Mine

There are times when you start a knit project with, let's say, Brand X straight needles. You then decide that you want to change from Brand X straight needles to Brand Y circular needles. DON'T DO IT!!! Why? Good question!

Let's say I'm the manufacturer of Brand X needles and you're the manufacturer of Brand Y needles. Just because we manufacture needles DOESN'T mean that they are going to be the same exact thickness. It's okay to switch from straight to circular or visa versa on a project AS LONG AS they are from the same company. If you switch from Yours to Mine, there will be a definite difference in your gauge...AND it will show. The same holds true for crochet hooks.

So...decide first whose needles you're going to use and stick with them throughout your project. It's going to be YOURS or MINE!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks - this is very helpful. Also, I just learned that, if you put down a project for a long period of time, such as a week or more, you should take out the row that is on the needle and redo it before carrying on. This is because the yarn stretches a bit as it sits on the needle and will show on your finished project.

Unknown said...

You know something Ginny, I found this out the hard way. I took pride in knitting my gauge with straight needles from brand x and then switched to Brand y on circular and the project got screwed up!!!! I wish I would have read your article sooner, but now I'm aware. Thanks for posting!

ginny said...

Thank you Doris and Marisa for your comments. I hope that our blog, GOT YARN, helps you out with all your knitting projects. My aim is to continue giving advice or helpful hints!!! Please keep reading, because I LOVE writing them!!!