Monday, December 15, 2008

TOOL TIME!

My Dad was in the shoe business for as long as I knew him, so I guess you can say I am the shoemaker's daughter! Normally the shoemaker's daughter goes without shoes. Did I go without shoes? Heck no! You should of seen how many pairs of shoes I had as a kid and now have!!

The reason for the above silliness is this. Sometimes we have to improvise when our knitting "tools" are not in site! Do I have stitch markers!? Yes, I do. Where they are is another question!! They could be in one of many bags! But...I don't want to take another set out of inventory, so I improvised. (See how the shoemaker's daughter comes into play!)

I was knitting a Christmas Tree hat (which, by the way, came out really cute!) I didn't have my stitch markers available, so I used yarn instead, but in a different color.

There are times when we are leaving for a trip, and we think we have everything that we need, and then we realize we forgot one important item (not toothpaste, but a stitching aid!)

Improvisation is not only in a comedy act...it helps when we need to make do with what we have! The yarn that I used for stitch markers were okay and if I lost one, I made another one!

If you need a split stitch marker and don't have any...use paper clips, if they're available to you. I don't like using safety pins. There's something about them that says "no" when it comes to yarn.

So, take the advise of the shoemaker's daughter...don't fret if you forgot a stitching tool...I'm sure you'll find different ways to make one up...and if you do...let me know!

Happy Stitching, my friends.

No comments: