Tuesday, July 22, 2008

DON'T STOP IN THE MIDDLE!!!

Most of what I'm writing is from experience, so I want to share with you what I normally tell my customers NOT to do! We have a program called SWEATER WIZARD and unfortunately I don't use it enough. Well, one of my customers, Linda Vespi used to work for a yarn shop in North Carolina and they used it a lot. So I decided to take her advice, plug in a repeat pattern and make a child's tank top. (Didn't want to knit too much---just wanted to check to see IF the computer program was going to actually work with a "repeat pattern.") Most of my knitting is done at the store, since my umbrella cockatoo, Angel, doesn't allow me to have lights on while I watch TV at night. I stopped in the middle of a row, left my work for several days, and when I came to knit again, all the stitches that were on one needle came off!!!! You should NEVER stop in the middle of the row for a few reasons: the first one is the obvious--stitches can come off, secondly, you may not know what row you're on and may knit in the opposite direction (almost like short rowing) and you wind up with a hole at that point. So, if you're really tired and you think you can crank out "one more row" --- don't. Leave it for the next time you pick up your "2 sticks." You will be refreshed to start a new day's knitting. You're not supposed to walk in the middle of the road, so don't stop in the middle of your knitting!!

No comments: